Pancakes and Santa delight children

WRHA staff serve breakfast at William Whyte School

senior management
Senior management of the Winnipeg Health Region serving a pancake breakfast on Tuesday at William Whyte Community School.

Winnipeg Health Region
Published Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Santa Claus dropped by William Whyte School on Dec. 18, as the students were eating a pancake breakfast cooked and served by Santa’s helpers at the Winnipeg Health Region.

Dressed in red and white Santa hats, members of the Winnipeg Health Region's Senior Management Team and a number of other staff cooked and served pancakes, sausages and oranges to 250 Nursery to Grade 8 students. The kids ate their breakfast in four sittings, keeping the Region's team hopping.

aboriginal health staff

Stephanie Zamora and Melanie Thorassie Duck from Aboriginal Health were cooking pancakes for the children.

The health region's staff will return to the school on Dec. 20 to serve a turkey lunch with all the trimmings to the students.

William Whyte is located at the corner of Manitoba and Powers streets in the Point Douglas neighbourhood. There are 300 students in the school with around 90 per cent of aboriginal descent, and the other 10 per cent made up of recent immigrants to Canada, from countries such as Philippines and Pakistan.


William Whyte Community School students at the breakfast.

The school is sponsored by the Winnipeg Health Region, which provides volunteers and funding directed to the Winnipeg Poverty Reduction Council to support special school activities, healthy snacks and food.

Bookmark Email Print Share this on Facebook SHARE Share this on Twitter Tweet RSS Feeds RSS
Make text smaller Make text bigger
Traditional Territories Acknowledgement
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority acknowledges that it provides health services in facilities located in Treaty One and Treaty Five territories, the homelands of the Métis Nation and the original lands of the Inuit people. The WRHA respects and acknowledges harms and mistakes, and we dedicate ourselves to collaborate in partnership with First Nation, Métis and Inuit people in the spirit of reconciliation.
Click here to read more about the WRHA's efforts towards reconciliation

WRHA Accessibility Plan Icon
Wait Times
View the Winnipeg Health Region's current approximate Emergency Department and Urgent Care wait times.

View wait times
Find Services
Looking for health services in Winnipeg?

Call Health Links-Info Sante at 788-8200

Search 211 Manitoba

Explore alternatives to emergency departments at

Find a Doctor
Contact Us
Do you have any comments or concerns?

Click here to contact us
The Winnipeg Health Region has a variety of career opportunities to suit your unique goals and needs.

Visit our Careers site
WRHA Logo Help| Terms of Use | Contact Us | En français