ACCESS River East
975 Henderson Highway
Winnipeg, MB R2K 4K7
The primary care clinic at ACCESS River East offers screening, diagnosis, medical management and education to help patients manage diabetes (Type 1, Type 2 and gestational) and other health conditions. The health care team includes physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, a counselor, and a dietitian. If you would like to become a patient of the clinic or refer someone who is looking for a health care provider, please see below for eligibility.
Group Diabetes Management Classes are open to all River East residents with Type 2 Diabetes and their families. Sessions are held throughout the year (except June ‐ August, and December), and alternate between morning and evening. Please contact the clinic for class dates and times.
Individual Diabetes Management Counselling with a registered dietitian is available to any resident of the River East area, with a referral from your family physician.
Get Better Together! A program for living better with ongoing health conditions is delivered at this site. Get Better Together is a free 6‐week workshop designed to help Manitobans with ongoing health conditions take control of their health. An online version is also offered several times a year. For upcoming programs at locations across Winnipeg (and the province) go to: www.getbettertogether.ca or call the central registration line at 204-632-3927.
Residents of the River East area who have postal codes starting with R2E, R2l, R2K, and R2G are eligible to become patients of the clinic. If you do not have a family physician or nurse practitioner and are interested in becoming a patient please call 204-786-7111.
- Referral from physician (MD), nurse practitioner (NP) or physician assistant (PA)
- Referral from other health care professional or social service agency
Diabetes Care, Education and Self-Management Support Services
- Insulin Starts
- Group Diabetes Management Classes (on topics such as healthy eating, exercise, smoking cessation, medications, complications of diabetes, and testing blood sugar)
- Individual Diabetes Management Counselling (on topics such as healthy eating, exercise, smoking cessation, medications, complications of diabetes, and testing blood sugar)
- Family support
On‐site Care and Education Service Providers Available
- Physician (MD) or Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Registered Nurse (Certified Diabetes Educator)
- Registered Dietitian
- Mental Health/Social Worker
Last updated: November 2020