Diabetes Education Resource for Children & Adolescents (DER-CA)
FE307‐685 William Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 0Z2
Diabetes Education Resource for Children and Adolescents (DER-CA) offers specialty services to children and youth under age 18 years with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. Clients are referred by their physician or nurse practitioner, or as an in-patient during a stay in the hospital. The team is an integrated, co-located, interprofessional team at the Children’s Hospital HSC Winnipeg. Team members include physicians who are diabetes specialists (Pediatric Endocrinologists), Clinical Nurse Specialist, diabetes nurse and dietitian educators, social worker, psychologists, and an administrative staff. Outreach clinics are provided for some rural and northern communities.
Individual Diabetes Management Counselling is provided to children, youth and their families.
- Residents of Manitoba, Nunavut, and portions of northwestern Ontario.
- Referral from physician (MD), nurse practitioner (NP) or physician assistant (PA).
- Self referrals are accepted in certain circumstances but referral from a health care provider is preferred.
Diabetes Care, Education and Self-Management Support Services
Education and insulin start as required at initial diagnosis.
Ongoing regular follow up with individual diabetes management counselling
24 hour emergency on call service
On‐site Care and Education Service Providers Available
- Pediatric endocrinologist
- Clinical nurse specialist
- Nurse educator
- Dietitian educator
- Social worker
- Transition co-ordinator
- 24 Hour Physician on Call (Urgent Calls Only): 204-787-2071
Last updated: September 2017