Volunteer Opportunities in St. James
Listed below are the current volunteering vacancies in the St. James community area.
If you'd like to volunteer at Grace Hospital, then please click here.
If you'd like to volunteer at Deer Lodge Centre, then please click here.
Friendly Phone Service Telephone Companion Volunteer
Location: Telephone calls are made from your own home.
Summary of Duties: The Friendly Phone Call Service provides regular contact by telephone to a client at risk of social isolation and loneliness and acts as a familiar, supportive person that encourages social stimulation. The volunteer calls the client at least once a week at a mutually agreed upon day and time.
- Ability to communicate with others on a one to one basis in an understanding, caring, patient, and sensitive manner.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to listen objectively and be tolerant of others beliefs and attitudes.
- Ability to maintain boundaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proficiency in English or other languages as needed.
Opening: It is anticipated that calls will be approximately 30 minutes in length. A minimum of one call a week for a minimum of 3 months is required. A longer commitment is desired if agreeable to both client and volunteer.
To apply for this role, please click here. Please ensure to specify the title of this role on the Volunteer Application Form under "Is there a specific role you are interested in?"