Volunteer Opportunities in St. James
Volunteer Role: Local Health Involvement Group (LHIG) member
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority is looking for community members from the St. James – Assiniboia community area, who are interested in exploring health issues as a member of the St. James Assiniboia - Assiniboine South LHIG.
Location: For the 2021-2022 year, LHIG meetings will be held virtually (using on-line platforms). However, we are working on ways to provide additional support for those who are unable to participate in LHIG meetings virtually. An option may be available later in the year for members to meet in-person at specific sites or connect with LHIG staff one-on-one.
Summary of Duties:
LHIGs are advisory to the WRHA Board. They provide an opportunity for members of the public to share their views and ideas to address important issues impacting healthcare services. In representing the broader public and more specifically their geographic community areas, LHIG members meet to learn about, discuss, and provide feedback on issues that impact health and the health care system. Their feedback is captured in a report and shared with the WRHA Board and Executive Council in an effort to enhance the region's understanding of these issues.
Applicants and LHIG members:
- must be 16 years of age or older (parent / guardian consent is required for those under the age of 18);
- must be a community member residing in one of the St. James - Assiniboia neighbourhoods, including but not limited to Sturgeon Creek, Heritage Park, Kirkfield, Glendale, Birchwood, Bruce Park, and Woodhaven;
- should have an interest in health and wellness;
- should be knowledgeable about their community and / or have strong connections to the community;
- should have good communication skills; and
- must have the ability and openness to consider and share personal experiences, where applicable; and
- must be non-judgmental, open-minded, and respectful of other group members' opinions and experiences.
- Every effort is made to put together LHIGs that reflect the diversity of the communities they represent in terms of gender, age, neighbourhoods, professions, socio-economic status, cultural backgrounds, faith-based groups, etc. Where applicable, community members are encouraged to self-declare when completing the application.
- Those working in the healthcare system are not eligible to volunteer on a LHIG.
LHIG members volunteer for terms that are 3 years in length. On average, each group will meet 6 times per year, between September and May. Meetings occur in the evening, usually from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
For more information on this role, visit https://wrha.mb.ca/engagement/lhig/
To apply for this role, visit https://wrha.mb.ca/engagement/lhig/application-form/
If you'd like to volunteer at Grace Hospital, then please click here.
If you'd like to volunteer at Deer Lodge Centre, then please click here.