- Tobacco use continues to be a leading cause of death and disability in the Winnipeg Health Region (WHR).
- 20.5% of Manitobans aged 15 years and older are current tobacco users.
- 22.1% of the WHR population aged 12 years and over are current smokers.
- Half of long-term smokers will die from their tobacco use; approximately 1,400 deaths per year in Manitoba.
- In Manitoba, the annual economic burden of smoking is estimated to be $526 million per year.
NEW! Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Tobacco Use and Dependence (July 2013)
To assist programs, sites and facilities to assess and manage tobacco use and dependence, a WRHA Smoking Cessation Best Practice Working Group (SCBPWG) was established to develop this CPG: Management of Tobacco Use and Dependence.
Resources to Support CPG Implementation
The SCBPWG had a number of sub-groups that worked on developing resource templates that may facilitate CPG implementation:
Acute Care Resources
Primary Care Resources
Medications for Smoking Abstinence/Withdrawal
Resources for patients/clients
#PCPG12: Implementation and Management of Tobacco Use and Dependence
Appendix A - Stages of Change to Quit or Reduce Smoking
Appendix B - Terms used in the Lifestyle Band
Appendix C - Tobacco Reduction Cessation Entry into EMR
Appendix D - Tobacco Assessment and Management
Appendix D - Spirometry Screening Tool and Patient Handout
Appendix E - Tobacco Reduction Resources
Appendix F - CHA Program Description
Tobacco Cessation Tips, Tools, Techniques
5 As 5 Rs Table WHO
Tobacco Cessation in Primary Care - Cessation Medications
Smoking Cessation - Reduction Medication Dosing Fact Sheet
Algorithm for Tailoring Pharmacotherapy in Primary Care Setting
Better Breathing Survey