Industry Relationships Policy
For the past decade the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority has led the country in building policies that ensure our relationships with business are transparent and accountable to the people of Manitoba. The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority introduced a Industry Relationship Policy in 2010 that provides guidance for our staff, and the vendors who do business with our organization, and upholds a standard of conduct that preserves the integrity of the region and those who chose to do business with us.
Who it affects
Vendors, businesses, suppliers, or individuals who conduct or intend to conduct business with our staff, directors, officers, management, employed or contracted physicians of the Winnipeg Health Region, or physicians with privileges at all WRHA health facilities governed by this policy.
Refer to the policy first
Certain activity and relationships the WRHA n has with industry are permitted and acceptable under certain rules and conditions outlined in this policy. Please review the policy and frequently asked questions as a guide to ensure your business activity and association with the WRHA or any individual representing the Region, are above reproach.
Here are some key points from the new Industry Relationship Policy that may affect your business relationship with the WRHA:
- Staff and physicians working in the WRHA cannot accept personal gifts from vendors, regardless of the nature or value of the gift.
- Access to WRHA health facilities and administrative offices by vendors needs to be pre-arranged through an appropriate WRHA representative.
- Clinical Evaluation Packages, otherwise known as drug samples and non-drug samples, such as medical devices, can only be distributed or used in the WRHA under certain conditions. For example, drug samples are restricted to ambulatory and emergency department settings. Please review the policy for full details.
- Travel sponsored by industry for WRHA staff will only be allowed under specific circumstances
- Restrictions are also in place regarding the display of promotion materials or products at WRHA facilities, and
- New parameters have been established with respect to industry support for WRHA programs & events, as well as for vendor-sponsored educational offerings.
Please refer to the Industry Relationship Policy and the related Conflict of Interest policy for complete details.