Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with mindfulness (CBTm)
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is recommended as first-line treatment for most mental health conditions. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Mindfulness (CBTm) is an education program designed to help you build resilience and improve your mental health wellness. However, many people do not have access to CBT-based programs due to long waiting lists. Please read the information below to find out if this program is right for you!
No sessions are currently scheduled.
Why should I participate in these classes?
- To learn the basics of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- To learn more about being mindful and how that can improve your mental health
- To learn about and gain access to good quality mental health resources
- To learn new skills that can improve your overall wellness
What will I learn about?
This course offers 5 different educational sessions that cover the following topics:
- The CBT Model
- Healthy & Realistic Thinking
- Goal Setting
- Basics of Behaviour Therapy
- Healthy Living & Sleep
- Anger, Assertiveness & Self-Compassion
- Stress & Coping with Stress
Are these classes right for me?
- I struggle with anxiety and/or depressive symptoms
- My mental health is impacting my life in negative ways
- I want to learn skills to help manage my mental wellness
If you struggle with high suicidality, active psychosis, cognitive impairment (e.g., dementia, head injury), or have had extensive cognitive behavior therapy previously, these classes may not be right for you at this time. Please discuss this option further with your treating clinician or family doctor.
What is the class format?
The classes are led by a trained clinician and are held either in-person or virtually using videoconferencing. The classes occur once per week over 5 weeks; each class will take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. Skills Practice will be assigned weekly and discussed at the beginning of the next class. You are welcome to bring one family member or friend to attend the classes with you.
The 5 classes will cover the following material:
- Class 1: Mindfulness, Basics of Cognitive Therapy, Thinking Traps, Thought Records
- Class 2: Mindfulness, Basics of Behaviour Therapy, Goal-Setting
- Class 3: Mindfulness, Principles of Healthy Living, Goal-Setting
- Class 4: Mindfulness, Anger/Assertiveness, Thought Records, Problem-Solving
- Class 5: Mindfulness, Thought Records, Coping with Stress
CBTm is also available on-demand as a web-based course (self-directed). You can register for the course here: www.cbtm.ca