For Physicians and Health Care Providers
General Guidelines for Referral
- General Guidelines for Referral (PDF, 72 KB)
A woman referred to the program should meet the following criteria:
- Be under the care of an obstetrician, family practitioner or midwife who has admitting privileges at a hospital that provides antepartum care.
- Resides in or has temporary accommodation in the area serviced by the WRHA.
- Is willing to receive community based care from the Antenatal Home Care Program.
- Multiple pregnancies are accepted when the woman meets the guidelines for one of the primary conditions listed.
- No apparent acute clinical concerns for fetal well being present.
- Has no acute pv bleeding, i.e. clots and/or bright red menstrual type flow.
- Women who are working or going to school are not eligible for program follow up. Short term follow up is available if clients can arrange time off work
Referral Process – Referral Form
Referrals are accepted between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. daily, seven days a week.
Contact the Antenatal Home Care Program pager at 204-932-7973 to ensure the client is appropriate for follow up and that there is capacity on the program.
Once accepted to program, the client will be contacted within 24 hours and initial home visit done as soon as possible.
- Antenatal Home Care Program Referral Form (PDF, 196 KB)
The program is available to pregnant women are experiencing one or more of the following conditions:
- Hypertension (gestational or essential hypertension with or without proteinuria), threatened preterm labor (TPTL), premature preterm rupture of the membranes (PPROM), or diabetes.*
- Reside or have temporary accomodation in an area serviced by the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA).
- Women with a diagnosed hypertensive condition who currently have normal lab and Fetal Assessment testing and whose daily blood pressure readings are at consistently 140/90 or less, will be discharged after 7 days of program follow-up.
Other high-risk conditions or those clients whose condition is outside of program guidelines may be considered for admission to the program. In these cases, one of the programs medical advisors from the program must be consulted prior to the client being discharged from hospital.
After Hours Referral
In those cases where discussion with the AHCP nurse is not possible the following procedure should apply:
- Call the Antenatal Home Care program desk at 940-2164 and leave a brief message about the client.
- Complete and fax the referral form along with current lab results, copy of prenatal sheet and any other information of note to 940-2189.
- Keep the client file/record on the unit as a reference until the client is confirmed as accepted by the AHCP nurse.