Am I a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery at CMBS if the following statements are true for you:
- You live in Manitoba and you have a Manitoba health card
- You are between the ages of 18-59 when the referral is made
- Your body mass index (BMI) is between 40 and 55. Surgery may also be an option when your BMI is 35 to 40 and you have a medical condition such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea, or osteoarthritis (speak with your doctor if this applies to you)
- If you have any mental health or substance abuse conditions, they must be appropriately managed.
- You have made previous diet and exercise attempts to lose weight and improve your health
- You are ready to make long-term diet, lifestyle, and behavior changes including committing to regular physical activity and healthy eating
- You are currently able to perform physical activity
- You do not use any inhalants including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, e-cigarettes, vaping, marijuana/ cannabis or any form of nicotine. The occasional "drag" or "puff" of any of the above is considered smoking.
If you are accepted but no longer meet these criteria, you may not be able to continue in the program or proceed to surgery.
Please note that, even if you meet criteria, you may not be accepted to proceed to surgery due to other reasons. Each case is reviewed on an individual basis. If this happens, this decision is made with your health and safety as the most important factors.