Volunteer Opportunities in St. Vital
Volunteer Role: School Immunization Clinic Volunteer
Location: Various schools in the community area
Summary of Duties: Assist with guiding students (typically in grades 6 to 12) through the immunization clinics including assisting with crowd control, monitoring students who look anxious and scared, handing out consent forms and monitoring students post immunization.
- Previous experience with interacting with children/youth is an asset
- Ability and comfortable with approaching children/youth in a friendly, supportive manner; comfortable with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Physically able to perform tasks, must be able to be on one's feet for up to 3 hours
- A clear criminal record and child abuse registry check within the past 6 months
Openings: This is a seasonal volunteer role taking place in the fall and spring of each year. Clinics in the fall of 2021 are taking place between November 1st and December 17, 2021. Clinics operate Monday to Friday during school hours between 8:30am and 12:00pm and 12:45pm and 3:30pm. Spring 2022 clinic dates will start at the end of April into early June. A minimum of one shift per week is required during the months that the clinics are taking place and request that a commitment is made for the entire school year.
To apply for this role, please click here. Please ensure to specify the title of this role on the Volunteer Application Form under "Is there a specific role you are interested in?"
Volunteer Role: Local Health Involvement Group (LHIG) member
Recruitment for the 2022-2023 year is anticipated to take place between April and June 2022.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority is looking for community members from St. Vital South neighbourhoods, who are interested in exploring health issues as a member of the St. Boniface - St. Vital LHIG.
Location: For the 2021-2022 year, LHIG meetings will be held virtually (using on-line platforms). However, we are working on ways to provide additional support for those who are unable to participate in LHIG meetings virtually. An option may be available later in the year for members to meet in-person at specific sites or connect with LHIG staff one-on-one.
Summary of Duties:
LHIGs are advisory to the WRHA Board. They provide an opportunity for members of the public to share their views and ideas to address important issues impacting healthcare services. In representing the broader public and more specifically their geographic community areas, LHIG members meet to learn about, discuss, and provide feedback on issues that impact health and the health care system. Their feedback is captured in a report and shared with the WRHA Board and Executive Council in an effort to enhance the region's understanding of these issues.
Applicants and LHIG members:
- must be 16 years of age or older (parent / guardian consent is required for those under the age of 18);
- must be a community member residing in one of the St. Vital South neighbourhoods, including but not limited to Dakota Crossing, Normand Park, Minnetonka, River Park South, and Vista;
- should have an interest in health and wellness;
- should be knowledgeable about their community and / or have strong connections to the community;
- should have good communication skills; and
- must have the ability and openness to consider and share personal experiences, where applicable; and
- must be non-judgmental, open-minded, and respectful of other group members' opinions and experiences.
- Every effort is made to put together LHIGs that reflect the diversity of the communities they represent in terms of gender, age, neighbourhoods, professions, socio-economic status, cultural backgrounds, faith-based groups, etc. Where applicable, community members are encouraged to self-declare when completing the application.
- Those working in the healthcare system are not eligible to volunteer on a LHIG.
LHIG members volunteer for terms that are 3 years in length. On average, each group will meet 6 times per year, between September and May. Meetings occur in the evening, usually from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
For more information on this role, visit https://wrha.mb.ca/engagement/lhig/
To apply for this role, visit https://wrha.mb.ca/engagement/lhig/application-form/