Mental Health Promotion
Mental health is the foundation for well-being and effective functioning for every individual and community. The aim of the Mental Health Promotion program is to enhance the mental health and well-being of the population across the lifespan.
There is a complex interplay of factors that impact our mental health and well-being. Mental health promotion recognizes these factors and works at the individual, family and community level, collaborating with a variety of community partners to build capacity to support positive mental health.
Mental Health Promotion includes actions that
- promote mental well-being;
- prevent mental health problems or illnesses, and
- improve quality of life and support recovery for people living with a mental illness.
The Mental Health Promotion program develops, implements, and evaluates numerous initiatives that aim to promote mental health by building upon strengths and reducing risk factors to ultimately achieve mental healthy individuals and communities.
For more information about our program please click here.
For more information about WRHA Mental Health Promotion contact email@example.com or 204-940-3681
The Mental Health Promotion program is engaged with the following programs and organizations in supporting the mental health and well-being of the population.
Promoting Mental Health in the Early Years
- Handle with Care – promoting the mental health of young children
- Reaching In - Reaching Out- promoting the resilience of adults and young children
- Attachment Network of Manitoba - supporting best practice for enhancing secure attachment across the lifespan
Parents of Young Children
- Towards Flourishing- promoting the mental well-being of parents and families through Manitoba's Families First Home Visiting Program
- Perinatal Mental Health - information for women and their families regarding mental health and well-being during pregnancy and postpartum
- Postpartum Depression Brochure – (scroll down for English)
School-based Mental Health Promotion
The WRHA Mental Health Promotion program partners with school divisions to develop and support a whole-school approach for positive mental health. Informed by evidence and best-practice, our program provides consultation, support, assistance with assessment, planning, professional development, student and parent engagement, and supports the implementation of programs and plans.
See the following resources:
- Mental Health Promotion in Schools – Manitoba Government overview
- Positive Mental Health Toolkit - Schools
The program also works with post-secondary institutions on whole-campus approaches to mental health and well-being.
Mental Health Promotion Materials for Adults
- Mentally Healthy Everyday Brochure
- 21 Ways to Enjoy Life More – cardset
- Enjoy Life More Poster
- Enjoy Life More Postcard
Mental Health Promotion for Older Adults