Regional Patient Safety Culture Surveys
It is important for healthcare organizations to have a strong safety culture. How can we check to see if the beliefs, practices and behaviors in the Winnipeg Health region support a culture of safety? The Canadian Patient Safety Culture Survey is a tool we use to do this.
This survey tool is a revised and validated version of the Patient Safety Culture Tool by Liane Ginsburg (York University) (Accreditation Canada, 2013). It is a survey that Accreditation Canada requires the Winnipeg Health region to administer to staff in order to keep our accreditation status.
This survey tool is used to:
- check our staff view of patient/client/resident safety in the organization
- check the presence and degree of safety culture
- show us our areas of strength
- identify where improvements are necessary to improve patient/client/resident safety
- provide a way for us to measure changes in safety culture within the organization
Our staff complete the Canadian Patient Safety Culture Survey once every four years. The WRHA review the results and create an action plan to address patient safety improvement opportunities identified in the survey results.