What happens when I report a safety event?
A Critical Incident Review Committee (CIRC) will be established to review those events involving a patient, resident or client which meet the following criteria:
- Unintended event causing serious harm
- Occurs during provision of health services
- Not a result of the patient's underlying condition
- Not result of risk/s inherent in providing the health services
If the event you have reported does not meet the criteria above, someone will be in touch with you to initiate further follow up.
Once designated a critical incident, you will be contacted by someone from the site where the critical incident occurred and they will disclose the following information to the patient and/or their family:
- The facts of what actually happened as they become known
- How this event will impact on the patient, resident or client's health
- The actions taken or to be taken to deal with the results of the critical incident
You may receive a copy of this disclosure at your request. The facility will provide you with the name and phone number of a person who will be your ongoing contact and support through the course of the review.